How Does Being Left Handed Affect Your Body Asymmetry
According to DW, handedness is not the only asymmetry of our bodies. Whether hugging, kissing or listening, we usually prefer one side over the other. And so do animals.
DW also mentions, that in the past, scientists believed that a single gene was responsible for our handedness. Today we know that in addition to many different genes, the environment also has an influence on our dexterity.
Sebastian Ocklenburg from the Ruhr University Bochum investigates the handedness and cognitive asymmetries in humans and animals. On International Lefthanders Day, DW interviewed the biopsychologist about cats, kisses and Leonardo da Vinci.
DW: About 85 to 90 percent of all people are right-handed. Does this preference for the right side also apply to other body parts or activities?
- SHOP NOW
- READ ABOUT LEFT HANDED CELEBRITIES
- OUR TOP LIST OF FAMOUS LEFT HANDED PEOPLE
- WHICH U.S PRESIDENTS WERE LEFT HANDED
- CHECK OUT OUR LIST OF LEFT HANDED CARTOON CHARACTERS
- CHECK OUT OUR GROWING LIST OF LEFT HANDED POETS
- READ OUR BLOG
- LEARN ABOUT LEFT HANDED DISCRIMINATION
- LEFT HANDED SCHOLARSHIPS